Our commitment to connecting resources to important community outcomes is reflected in our Community Investment Fund. Recently, we were able to allocate nearly $5 million from donations to our Community Investment Fund to more than 40 organizations and 70 programs across Kent County. With an emphasis on accountability, we work closely with these partners to ensure that donations are thoughtfully and effectively put to use. These new allocations, combined with investments into United Way programs -- like 211, KCTCC, and Schools of Hope -- and designations from donors, bring this year's total investment into Kent County to more than $9 million!
Our Community Investment Fund is a powerful tool that allows donors to make an impact on many people’s lives and many needs through a single donation. All financial gifts to the fund stay here in Kent County and support initiatives that reduce poverty and social inequities.
Community-wide issues supported by the 2016-2017 Community Investment Fund grants:
- Housing: Helping people get and keep affordable housing and increasing access to assistance for those experiencing homelessness.
- Food Security: Helping people receive essential, nutritious meals and gain greater food stability.
- Child Education: Helping children and young adults develop and thrive.
- Family Support: Helping parents and caregivers support their children’s success.
- Violence Prevention: Preventing, reducing, or eliminating physical violence, sexual assault, abuse, and neglect.
- Workforce Development: Helping people increase their employability and work skills.
Recently Funded Programs and Issues
- American Red Cross Food Security, Transportation $134,587
- Arbor Circle Corporation Family Support, Housing $176,069
- Baxter Community Center Child Education $53,835
- Boy Scouts Gerald R. Ford Council Child Education $44,862
- Camp Blodgett Child Education $26,918
- Camp Fire West Michigan 4C Child Education $144,458
- Catholic Charities West Michigan Food Security $11,563
- Cherry Health Child Education $17,945
- Children's Assessment Center Violence Prevention $58,321
- Community Rebuilders, Inc. Housing $44,863
- Conductive Learning Center Child Education $18,500
- Court Appointed Special Advocates of Kent County (CASA) Violence Prevention $11,563
- D.A. Blodgett-St. John's Child Education, Family Support $296,093
- Dwelling Place Housing $116,643
- Essential Needs Task Force Transportation $12,000
- Expanded Learning Opportunities Network Child Education $25,000
- Family Futures Family Support, Violence Prevention $170,477
- Family Outreach Center Child Education, Family Support, Violence Prevention $69,667
- Family Promise Housing $18,500
- Genesis Non-profit Housing Corporation Housing $18,500
- Girl Scouts of Michigan Shore to Shore Child Education $72,677
- Employment Services Collaborative (Goodwill) Workforce Development $494,875
- Building a Culture of Health (Grand Rapids Urban League) Health Education $231,250
- Grand Rapids Urban League Housing $31,404
- Coordinated Health Impact Alliance (Health Net) Health Access $1,165,500
- Hispanic Center of Western Michigan Family Support $17,945
- Promise Partners Mentoring Collaborative (Hispanic Center of Western Michigan) Child Education $185,000
- Hispanic Center of Western Michigan Food Security, Transportation $35,890
- Home Repair Services of Kent County Housing, Food Security $53,835
- Hope Network West Michigan Transportation $26,918
- KSSN Family Support $62,808
- Legal Aid of Western Michigan Violence Prevention, Housing $128,307
- Michigan Migrant Legal Assistance Housing $26,918
- North Kent Community Services Food Security $9,250
- School to Career Progressions Child Education $44,863
- Senior Meal on WheelsFood Security $76,266
- Senior Neighbors Food Security, Transportation $83,904
- South End Community Outreach Ministries Resource Center (SECOM) Food Security $44,863
- The Salvation Army Housing, Food Security $269,175
- United Church Outreach Ministry (UCOM) Food Security $33,647
- United Methodist Community House Child Education, Food Security, Transportation $50,033
- Wellspring Lutheran Services Violence Prevention $28,712
- West Michigan Refugee Education & Cultural Center Child Education $20,813
- WMCAT Child Education $9,250
- YMCA Child Education, Violence Prevention $305,759
Learn more about these programs in our most recent Community Impact Tour book.
See last year's results at hwmuw.org/results.