Kent County tax credit coalition
Every year millions of dollars in tax refunds and credits go unclaimed by those who need them the most. Through 15 Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sites throughout our community, the Kent County Tax Credit Coalition helps working individuals and families achieve economic success through free tax services and financial literacy courses.
Since 2002, KCTCC has generated more than $78 million in tax credits for over 64,000 tax payers in Kent County. KCTCC clients often spend tax refunds locally for basic necessities such as food and clothing, home and car repairs, or medical treatment.
You may qualify for KCTCC ’s free tax services if your household income is $55,000 or less. We can help you complete your income tax return and apply for the Federal Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), a refundable federal income tax credit. U.S. citizenship is not required, but you must file a tax return to claim your credit.
Schedule your FREE tax prep appointment now by calling 2-1-1.
If you made less than $62,000 last year, you can also file your taxes online for free.
Find a tax preparation site in your neighborhood
Please call or contact 2-1-1 to schedule an appointment to have your tax return prepared for free.
If you are filing jointly, both adults must be present at the appointment to sign the tax return. Please bring all of these documents with you:
- Last year's heating bills
- Proof of rent or mortgage and property tax payments
- Childcare provider's name, address and federal tax identification number
- Blank, voided check (to set up direct deposit of your refund)
- Any other tax-related letters or documents your have received (including letters from the IRS)
- Social Security card for each family member and picture ID for adults
- W-2 form for all jobs worked the previous year
- 1099 forms for other income, including unemployment
- All Forms 1095
- Health Insurance statements
- Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
- Copy of last year's tax return
become a volunteer
KCTCC’s tax preparation program utilizes approximately 200 volunteers each year – ranging from Steelcase’s finance department, to GVSU students, to local church groups. Every year, beginning in December and continuing until mid-January, volunteers receive training from KCTCC and certification from the IRS to help prepare basic tax returns for their neighbors. The concept is to provide local taxpayers with free tax return preparation by volunteers, accounting students or other professionals, in effort to provide both a valuable community service and a powerful hands-on learning experience for the preparers.
- No experience necessary.
- Short-term commitment.
- We will train you in basic tax law and the IRS will certify you for free!